
Meiji Shrine on New Year's day. Photos by Tsuyoshi Nomura.
Japanese wait in line for hours! This year the shrine's were more busy than usual because there are a lot of financial issues that are affecting people, just like in America.
They have many little trinkets for sale. A friend told me once the trinkets represent something you are hoping for in life. She bought one that would bring her a boyfriend- he he.
These are small pieces of wood that prayers are written on. Tsuyoshi said that many of the boards had requests for new jobs or more money.
These young Japanese are writing prayer requests and then paying a small amount of yen to have the Buddhist priest pray for them.
The prayers boards also cost money. I wonder what they do with them at the end of the day?
today was a good day. it was lovely weather and so nice to see the sun shining! I met with Rina and Jessi at a mexican restaurant for fellowship and a little bible study. good times ;) Then I met up with my friend Yu later. She is thinking of going to America to study, and asked suggestions of where she should go--GO Noles ;). Then I had language class, which I haven't gone to in about ten years because of Morri sensei and my schedule conflicts. In today's class I learned how I can better say my testimony in Japanese- normal Japanese instead of my mumbo jumbo Japanese. And I also am learning how to say John 3:16 in Japanese, yikes!- much harder than I thought.
Having been here. Having seen the faces. hearing the hearts of the Japanese. (sigh) I could never go back to living my life without them in it. I'm really grateful to have this passion, but if I'm honest- sometimes it scares me a little.
"what am I going to do with my life God, i mean-- this life that belongs to you"- just Trust me audrey.
"Oh ok, sooooooo, what do you want me to do next? Like, what's my next step" - Just keep doing what you're doing now, and Trust me.
"ummmmmmmmmm, huh?"-- just trust me crazy lady!--Yea He has to say that sometimes.
mmmm hmmmmm..I'm back there again. That whole trust thing. I'm beginning to see that maybe this isn't just a phase.. "oh, I need to learn how to trust God this week." I'm seeing that this will be a life lesson.
"What are you all worried about this life for? It's JUST life. You're gonna look back on this life 10 million years from now in heaven and remember it about as well as you remember a day on the play ground in kindergarten." Paraphrase from Mark Driscoll's current series- Trial and Jesus--Great Stuff!!
http://www.marshillchurch.org/media/trial
if you don't want to fall in love with Japan, then don't even think about coming over here.
These people have captured my heart. All I have to do is walk around and look at strangers and my little heart melts from within. Especially the snow babies (yuki akachan)..AKA- the little Japanese babies wrapped up in 10 pounds of clothes. They look at you almost as if to say "I hold the power to make you fall in love with me." ;) Thus.. my warning to visitors.

3 comments:
hi audge podge! i loved reading your little dialogue with God, because its just like one of the many conversations I also have with Him. I feel the EXACT same way as you...i seriously love the people we serve in Africa with a love that is just CRAZY..its just not normal how much I love them. :) And that CRAZY love and this crazy life scares me sometimes. But I love what the pastor from Mars Hill Church said. This life really isn't our own and its SO short. One day we will get to heaven and be able to say that we loved Him and we were obedient. I love you Audrey, and I miss you so very much.
I love you...my prayers for you have been specific. Let me know how they turn out (you don't need to know what they are about..you will know when they are answered)
:)
Makes me want to hug one of those little "snow babies"!! And BTW, when our oldest son was in Japan, he took several pictures of the prayer ("wish") cards and it so breaks my heart to see someone's heart-felt pleas being used for money and maybe even giving them false hope in false gods. Here's his pics if you want to see them:
http://creechm.no-ip.com/photos/
then click on "Meiji Shrine"
So hope you are having a wonderful week and that God is pouring out his strength and peace on you to overflow to others. Your blog is truly a blessing to us!
-Faye (aka "Mrs C")
Post a Comment