Wednesday, October 22, 2008

my renewed passion.








These are some pictures from my birthday. I went to disney land with Mayuko, Ang Li, and ac. We had an absolute blast! Tokyo Disneyland is as old as me, so everywhere they had 25..25.. 25.. I felt oh so tokubetsu (special)! The next night a bunch of us went to to outback steak house.. free refills on coke- what could be better?

This past week I've been going through what most people would call culture shock. Culture shock is different for everyone, but for me it mainly consists of me (for no reason whatsoever) getting annoyed by the littlest things that may occur throughout my day in Japan. A few examples include: the little middle girls screeching as they communicate in what is a normal volume for them. Heels.. everywhere! Why do they all wear heels!? And no, I don't speak Japanese!!
(sigh) Yes, this is my culture shock. I usually get over it after about two or three days. But this most recent episode took me a good long week to overcome.
Recently Ams and I were headed to meet a new friend of ours and honestly the entire train ride there I was thinking to myself..
"I just can't do this anymore."
"Do what?"
"Share my faith"
"oh ok well, why don't you just stop then?"
"Ok"
"Are you serious, c'mon!!"
"I'm dead serious, do you even know what it feels like to share the most important thing in your life with people who look at you as though you're explaining binary division?"
"Ok, just don't share anymore then, it's too hard for you."
"Fine!"
"FINE!"

Yea, so I talk to myself...usually out loud but that's beyond my point.
My point is this. I had no desire to share, so I had to pray for the desire to share. I had to pray that God would help me to start seeing people again the way he sees people, which is really really hard for me to do.
When we showed up to meet our friend I honestly expected nothing to happen, but my assumption couldn't have been more wrong. We were able to have an awesome conversation about the gospel! And I really believe that one day this friend of ours will finally understand that what she has been seeking has actually been seeking her.
Thus.. my renewed passion. ☺

2 comments:

Kristi Van Der Merwe said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY my sweet Audge. I love all the pics in Disneyland! I am so glad you had such a great day! Thanks for sharing about the culture shock and the way God is constantly growing you. I am so thankful that even though we are SO far away from each other, we are going through this thing together. I love you Audrey!

Christi and Justin Tyner said...

If you talked about binary division in front of me...I wouldn't look at you funny...I totally understand it!!! haha, so you should probably just come on home then...